This (ongoing) project is an exploration into new methods of visualization for a museum setting started during a Fellowship at Terreform One, a nonprofit architecture and urban design group based in the New Lab at the Brooklyn Navy Yard. I was particularly interested in breaking down the barrier between scientific research and science communication and facilitating a sense of agency among a viewing public in the process of scientific discovery.
The basic process was…
- take recently deceased (natural causes) painted lady butterflies,
- mount them on (x-ray transparent) styrofoam blocks,
- scan specimens in a micro-CT scanner,
- reconstruct scans digitally,
- create interactive interface for an audience to view and manipulate these 3d files.